CANTON, N.Y. - The top-seeded SUNY Canton Roos (13-5) jumped past #4 Husson University (7-7), in the North Atlantic Conference (NAC) Women's Lacrosse Championship Tournament Semifinals at the SUNY Canton Turf Field on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The hosts scored the first ten goals of the game, but Sierra Connor Schade cut into the deficit via an Ashley Cummings assist to get the Eagles on the board with 11:10 to play in the first half. However, Canton tallied five more in the closing minutes of the half to take a 15-1 lead into the intermission.
Husson started the second half strong when Maddy Olsen found the back of the net with an unassisted goal just minutes into the half but Canton answered with four straight before Olsen netted her second unassisted goal late in the half, to make it 19-3 with 8:38 remaining in the game.
Cali Newton scored the games final tally with 36 seconds left to play as the Eagles fell to the Roos by a score of 20-4.
Mallory Burchill made ten saves for the Eagles, while Madison Leary and Nicole Piskorowski combined to add three stops in the victory.
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Olsen had two goals with one ground ball and three draw controls.
- Newton scored a goal with two ground balls and draw controls.
- Connor-Schade recorded a goal.
- Cummings added an assist.
- Labrie scooped up a team-high five ground balls with a caused turnover.
LEADERS – SUNY CANTON:
- Molly Denny led all players with five goals and two assists, while chipping in five ground balls and four draw controls.
- Jessica Pele added three goals and two assists and added game-high of five draw controls.
- MaryClare Bowes and Stephanie Thayer totaled two goals and two assists each.
- Lindsey Ingram, Cecelia Neally and EllaRose LeMay all scored twice.
- Erin Grandaw and Logan Bush scored once each, while Bush added game-high of five draw controls.
- Mia Jermano caused a game-high three turnovers to go with four ground balls.
This concludes the 2019 season for the Husson University women's lacrosse team, while the Roos move on to host UMaine-Farmington next Saturday for the NAC Championship with the winner advancing to the NCAA Tournament. The Beavers defeated Maine Maritime Academy in another NAC semifinal contest, 12-4, on Sunday.
2019 All-Tournament Team
Maddy Olsen – Husson
Cali Newton – Husson
Sydney Adams – Maine Maritime
Julia Dillon – Maine Maritime
Isabella Monbouquette – UMaine Farmington
Samantha Cross – UMaine Farmington
Heather Boland – UMaine Farmington
Logan Bush – SUNY Canton
Molly Denny – SUNY Canton
MaryClare Bowes – SUNY Canton
Jessica Pele – SUNY Canton (MVP)