Women's Lacrosse Drops Overtime Game To Beavers

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

BANGOR, Maine—Husson (3-6, NAC 2-4) lost in a hard-fought overtime game to University of Maine-Farmington (6-3, 4-2) 10-9 Wednesday at Boucher Field.

Husson found themselves down early after Rhi Jackson started the scoring off for the Beavers just 2:13 into game, netting one of her four goals on the day.  Despite getting down early, Husson would only trail for a total of six minutes and 13 seconds in the game.

Cassidy Roderick put Husson on the board to knot the game up, and minutes later Amanda Deshaies would add another tally for the Eagles to give them a lead they wouldn't relinquish until late in the second half.

With momentum on their side Husson added to their lead on a goal from Mattie Russell, but UMF refused to let the Eagles run away with the game, tying the game back up with goals from Nickyia Lovely and Jackson.

Husson unleashed an offensive attack late in the half that led to them taking a two-goal lead into the break.  Makenna Mont finished the first goal for the Eagles, one of her three on the day, and less than a minute later Mariah Carrier added another for Husson.

The Eagles took this momentum into the second half, and Mont scored her second goal of the game just 3:33 in.

Any time the Eagles would get momentum going, however, the Beavers would charge back into the game.  Husson's three-goal lead was cut into in the second half on two goals from Carly Raymond.

Mont got the Eagles back on track with another goal of her own, but Sierra Gilley of the Beavers evened it out just 36 seconds later.

With Husson up one goal, the Eagles clamped down on defense, withstanding many strong attacks from UMF before Jackson was able to tie the game up on a free position shot with just 5:23 remaining.

Exactly one minute later Jaclyn Langevin gave the Beavers their first lead since the first half, but Husson refused to go away.  After ramping up their offensive aggressiveness in the final minutes, Husson added two late goals, one from Deshaies and another from Abby Greenleaf.

Just as it seemed Husson would walk away with the win, Jackson scored her final goal of the game to tie things back up with one minute remaining and send the game into overtime.

The action in overtime didn't last long, and Langevin scored her second goal of the game to give the Beavers the conference win.

Husson will be back in action Sat. Apr. 22 as they travel to Lyndon State for a conference game.