Women's Lacrosse Blanks Dean 19-0 for Program's First Shutout in Seven Years

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

FRANKLIN, Mass. – The Eagles stormed into their season opener against Dean College down in Massachusetts more than ready to start playing, capturing the first shutout since taking down Thomas (Maine) College 15-0 seven years back. Husson (1-0) women's lacrosse saw contributions from every player on their team on the field on Tuesday, to help seize the 19-0 victory on Dean (0-2).

Makenna Mont was first on the board for the Eagles, finding the back of the net in the first 18 seconds of the match. Within the first eight minutes, Husson had nearly averaged a goal a minute, netting seven. By the time the ref blew his whistle concluding the first half, the Eagles were up 13-0. On the half, Deshaies led all scorers with three goals including two unassisted.

The Bulldogs picked up some momentum in the second half on the defensive end, holding the Eagles off until the 11th minute of the second half, when Kelsi Thibeau came in for the first goal of the half. Husson continued on to tally up six more goals for the win, with the final goal thrown in by Mattie Russell with 36 seconds remaining on the clock.

Dean's goalie, Madison-Bailey Felton posted 11 saves on the day out of 30 shots. Offensively, Kim Dickson led her team on attack with four shots and collected 5 draw controls. Teammates, Alex Cassanelli and Kirsten Jobst each split four ground balls apiece.

In net for Husson taking home the win, was Kaitlin Dolloff collecting a total of five saves. Concluding the match, Amanda Deshaies and Mattie Russell both accumulated four goals apiece. Accruing four ground balls each were Jordyn Labrie and Cali Newton. Overall, the Eagles outplayed the Bulldogs in every category. Husson won 12-of-20 draw controls and went 12-for-12 on their clears. Both teams nearly split the total ground balls, 22-20, on the game, but Husson tallied up just a few more than Dean.

The Eagles will be on the road again for their second game of the season, facing Southern Maine at 12pm on Saturday, March 11.