BANGOR, Maine - The Husson University (11-7, 8-0) women's basketball team defeated University of Maine at Farmington (10-9, 7-1) by a score of 71-53 in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) action on Friday evening inside Newman Gymnasium.
IN THE ACTION:
The Eagles started off strong to begin the game. A three-pointer by Emma Alley gave Husson a 16-8 within the first six minutes. The Beavers cut the lead down to four with 3:26 left in the first quarter when Alex Bessey made a layup to make the score of 18-14 in favor of the Eagles before Husson used a 5-3 run to take a 23-17 lead going into the second quarter.
UMaine-Farmington closed the gap (23-20) to three following a McKenna Brodeur three 21 seconds into the second quarter. A Megan Peach jumper pushed the Eagle lead back to five 54 seconds later, but a Makayla Wilson made jump shot once again cut the Husson lead back to three (25-22) with 8:27 remaining in the quarter. On the Eagles next possession, Peach hit a big shot from downtown to spark a closing out the frame run of 15-4 giving Husson a 40-26 lead at the break.
A 3-pointer by Cassie Urso with 58 seconds left in the third quarter gave the Eagles a 20 point lead (57-37) and Husson would cruise the rest of the way to remain undefeated in conference play with a 71-53 victory over the Beavers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Alley paced the Eagles with 16 points, three assists and three rebounds.
- Sydney Allen added ten points, three assists, two steals and five boards.
- Joan Overman registered double-double with ten points and ten rebounds, while adding five assists and four steals.
- Bailey Donovan recorded her sixth double-double of the season with ten points and 12 rebounds.
- Brodeur led all scorers with 17 points, while adding seven boards and a steal.
- Bessey contributed 15 points, four rebounds, two assists and two steals.
Husson will play at Thomas College tomorrow in a NAC contest that is slated to begin at 3:00 p.m.