CASTINE, Maine – A strong performance from the five starters helped the Husson women's basketball team (8-7, 5-0 NAC) overpower, 57-48, the Maine Maritime Academy Mariners (12-4, 4-1 NAC) on Friday evening as the Eagles remain undefeated in the North Atlantic Conference.
IN THE ACTION:
The two teams battled closely in the first quarter but the Eagles carried a narrow 13-10 lead into the second quarter.
The Mariners used a seven-point run to take a 23-17 lead with 5:00 remaining in the half. The Eagles chipped away at the deficit and the Mariners took a 28-26 lead into halftime.
Maine Maritime hit back-to-back threes to jump out to an eight-point (34-28) lead early in the third, but the Eagles once again closed the gap, and Vanessa Duarte hit a long three as time expired to give the Eagles a 40-38 lead at the end of the third quarter.
A strong defense on both ends held the Green and Gold to just four points off of layups from Bailey Donovan and Sami Ireland to bring the score to 44-38 with just 5:10 left in regulation. Morgan Boudreau brought the Mariners back within a point as she drained a bucket from downtown, 44-43. With under four minutes remaining, Emma Alley capped off an 11-3 sprint to the finish, netting four consecutive foul shots to help grab the 57-48 victory for Husson.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ireland led all players on the scoreboard with her 17 points, five rebounds, and three assists.
- The Eagles took full advantage of Mariner turnovers, driving to the hoop to score 16 points.
- Maine Maritime's bench recorded 17 points while Husson put up nine points off the bench.
- Alley tirelessly remained on the court the entire night, dishing five assists, grabbing four rebounds, and scoring six points.
- Lauren Plissey was the lone player of the night to achieve a double-double between her 12 boards and 11 points.
The Eagles get the week off before a long road trip to SUNY Canton for a doubleheader weekend of conference action against the Roos. The first game is scheduled to tipoff at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, January 24th.