BANGOR, Maine - The University of Maine (3-6) defeated Husson University (1-4), 104-43, in a non-conference women's basketball contest at the Cross Insurance Center on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
A tight battle was fought throughout the first quarter after UMaine's Maddy McVicar opened the scoring with a three-pointer 15 seconds into the game with a nice assist from Anne Simon. The game remained a three point advantage for the Black Bears for the next one minute and 20 seconds until Sydney Allen drained a three from downtown to even the score at 3-3 at the 8:24 mark. 23 seconds later after Allen tied the game, Anna Kahelin put the Black Bears back up by two before Joan Overman hit a jumper tying the game once again with 6:53 remaining in the quarter. A Kira Barra jumper at the 6:38 mark spark a UMaine closing quarter run of 15-7 for a 20-12 lead heading into the second quarter.
A Megan Peach layup helped Husson close the gap to six points with 8:44 remaining in the second quarter, but McVicar's layup 25 seconds later pushed the Black Bears' lead back to eight that powered UMaine to a 37-26 advantage at the intermission.
The Black Bears used a dominant third quarter to put the game out of reach, as UMaine outscored Husson 33-11 in the quarter. UMaine cruised the rest of the way for a 104-43 victory.
LEADERS - HUSSON:
- Allen scored ten points with two assists and one rebound and one steal.
- Bailey Donovan added ten points with seven boards and a block.
- Peach tallied six points and six rebounds.
- Vanessa Duarte came off the bench and scored five points with one rebound.
- Emma Alley had four assists.
LEADERS – UMAINE:
- Kelly Fogarty had a game-high 31 points and added two assists and two steals.
- McVicar scored 19 points and pulled down six boards.
- Abbe Laurence added 12 points, ten rebounds, seven assists, three steals, and one block.
- Dor Saar scored 11 points and added 14 helpers to record a double-double.
This game marked the first regular season contest between the two neighboring schools since the 1986-87 season.
The Eagles will host the Hornets of Northern Vermont University-Lyndon for their 2019-20 home opener and North Atlantic Conference opener on Saturday, December 6th. The 7th Annual Husson Sports Hall of Fame Game will tipoff at 4:00 p.m.