STANDISH, Maine – Led by two 20-point scorers, the Saint Joseph's College (Maine) Monks (2-2) defeated the Husson University women's basketball team (1-3) in non-conference action, 76-64, on Saturday afternoon at the Harold Alfond Center.
Scoring opened just shy of two minutes into the game when Monks' Cassandra Stapelfeld sunk a three-pointer, assisted by Julia Quinn. After a missed shot from Husson, the Monks recovered the rebound and Alyson Fillion sunk a three assisted by Jordan Jabar to jump ahead early. Joan Overman landed the Eagles on the board shortly after, tossing in a layup off a pass under the hoop by Megan Peach. At the end of the first quarter, Husson had gained a one-point lead, 16-15, when Emma Alley sunk her "and one" free throw shot while netting an unassisted layup.
The Monks and Eagles took turns sinking jumpers before the Saint Joseph's gained a lead off a pair of threes from Fillion, both assisted by Quinn. By the end of the second quarter, the Monks ran ahead bringing the score to 38-27.
Husson began fighting back into contention in the second half with an impressive 16-3 run and claimed a 43-41 edge when Bailey Donovan knocked down a pair of freebies with 6:20 left in the third quarter.
The Eagles were not able to inch too far ahead before the Monks stole the lead back as Stapelfeld drilled a pair of threes in a matter of 90 seconds. Threes from Husson's Truly Le and Alley helped bring the score within one basket, 56-54, at the end of the third, outscoring the Monks, 27-18.
Saint Joseph's put the game out of reach in the fourth frame with a 15-3 run right out of the gates.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
· Donovan came off the bench to lead the Eagles with 19 points and 16 rebounds and was 7-for-10 from the field with a pair of blocks.
· Alley netted 11 points with three assists and a pair of steals for Husson.
· Eagle Overman chipped in with nine points, seven boards, and five steals.
· Fillion was 10-for-17 from the field and 5-for-10 from three-point range with three rebounds and a pair of assists for the Monks.
· Stapelfeld was 7-for-11 from the floor and 4-for-7 from downtown with three assists and three boards for Saint Joseph's.
· Monk Julia Quinn added 11 points and eight assists
The Eagles take on the University of Maine Black Bears in at the Cross Insurance Center on Wednesday, December 4th at 7:00 p.m.