Husson Men's Soccer Downs Roos, 4-1

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

CANTON, N.Y. - Husson men's soccer team (4-9-0, 3-1-0 NAC) scored four unanswered as they defeated SUNY Canton (5-6-2, 3-3-0 NAC) on their home turf by the final score of 4-1 in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) match on Saturday morning. 


The Roos had their best opportunity to open the scoring in the 25th minute as Connor Bruyn ripped a shot from the top of the box which rattled off the crossbar. Soon after in the 33rd minute, SUNY Canton's Keifer McNichols hit a through ball to Shayne O'Neill who scored on a breakaway, placing the ball inside the left post for the lead. 

SUNY Canton had a chance to double their advantage when O'Neill lined up for a free kick on the right side of the 18-yard box, but Benjamin Powell made a punch save to keep the Roos' lead at one. 

In the 40th minute, the Eagles would level the score as Joao Passoni rifled home a free kick from 25-yards out into the top left corner for his third goal of the season. 

Nearly ten minutes into the second half, Passoni tacked on his second tally of the day to lift the Eagles into a 2-1 lead as he shot a low ball into the bottom left corner past the outstretched hands of SUNY Canton's keeper. 

A missed pass by the Roos led to a loose ball on the attack for Husson as Cai Pritchard slotted a ball through the remaining SUNY Canton defenders to Oscar Berntsson for a three-on-three standoff inside the box. Jordi Cabau Limens received the pass across the box from Berntsson and fired it into the open net to extend the score to 3-1.

Not even a minute later, Pritchard sprinted down the right flank, crossing the ball into the box finding the feet of Passoni. The sophomore forward looked towards net, smacking a shot which bounced off a Roo defender back to the feet of Passoni who recovered possession and pushed a short pass to his left where Avery Pomerleau was readily waiting to fire in his third goal of the season as the score remained 4-1 for the final 15 minutes of the match. 

A few words from the Head Coach: "I am pleased with our second half performance today. The boys know my expectations and in the first half we simply were not playing well. I challenged them at halftime and they responded well. It shows great character to win a game 4-1 having gone 1-0 down. It was a great team performance and we got a big win which is the most important thing. I'm hoping we can get another important win tomorrow and string some wins together here."


Stopping eight shots for the Eagles, Powell improved his record this season to 3-3-0 with the win over SUNY Canton in net. On the other end of the field, Dawson Pellerin shut down four shots by the Eagles. 


The men's squad will stay overnight in New York for another conference match tomorrow, October 13th as they visit the SUNY Delhi Broncos for a 12:00 p.m. game.