Men's Soccer Falls Behind, 4-1, to Nor'easters

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

BANGOR, Maine - Husson University fell behind in a 4-1 defeat to the visiting University of New England Nor'easters in a non-conference match on Saturday afternoon at Boucher Field. The Eagles fall to 2-7-0 on the season, while University of New England improves to 5-3-1.


Both sides started the game on the attack exchanging chances on goal in the opening minutes. UNE scored first in the 25th minute with a goal from Callum Heaslewood as he took on Husson's goalie Kyle Townsend one-on-one.

The Eagles fought back with a goal of their own just five minutes later when Jahmal Williams drew a free kick from twenty-five yards. His teammate Joao Passoni took the direct kick, curving his shot around the wall just inside the right post to level the score, 1-1. The Eagles continued to control play in the first half with strong efforts on the defensive end to protect goal by defenders Shuby Bodke, Kiko Sanchez Rico, and Bryce Hayman.

The second half saw the Eagles jump out to a quick start creating two early chances on corner kicks. Despite the aggressive attack approach by the Eagles, the Nor'easters countered with a goal in the 60th minute by Pablo De La Guardia Criado. Heaslewood added on a pair of goals late in the second half to complete his hat trick and put the Nor'easters up 4-1. The Eagles looked for more opportunities pressing higher up the field, but ultimately were unable to find the back of the net. 

Coach Penny reflects, "We only have ourselves to blame today. They have scored on the exact same play four times. It's unbelievable how we have not switched on and figured out what they were trying to do. For all the talent that is sitting in that dressing room, the season will not end the way they would like if they do not start taking responsibility. We have to be smarter and read the game. We are being too reactive and consequently causing ourselves problems. We have to take risks in front of goal and show the wlil to want to score goals. We see a lot of the ball in games and are not threatening. I'm hoping for a response from the lads at training on Monday."


Townsend got the start in net for the Eagles recording two saves, while Will Shearon earned the win playing 86 minutes with one save before Ethan Disposito closed out the remained four minutes between the posts. 


The Eagles look to bounce back spending the first half of October on the road. Husson will take on Colby College on Tuesday, October 1st at 7:00 p.m.