Men's Soccer Drops First NAC Matchup of Season to MMA, 2-0

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

CASTINE, Maine - Maine Maritime Academy (3-1-1, 1-0-0 NAC) defeated Husson University (1-4-0, 0-1-0 NAC), 2-0, in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) men's soccer contest at Ritchie Field on Saturday afternoon.


The Eagles started out strong, putting on a dominant display and passing the ball around well in the first half. All of this hard work was undone when Mariners' Matt Carron launched in a long throw-in which bounced off two heads before Evan Backus flicked it past the Eagle keeper Benjamin Powell in the 26th minute. MMA entered the intermission with a 1-0 lead.

Husson came out of the break hot ramping up nine shots with five on target, but a determined defensive performance from the Mariners kept the Eagles off the board allowing Ryan Holmes to add an insurance goal in the 77th minute. Holmes headed in a corner kick from Caron after making an unmarked run to the back post and the Mariners held on for the 2-0 victory.

"It's yet another frustrating afternoon," stated head coach Gavin Penny. "We were the better side for large parts of today's game and played some really nice football. The boys worked hard to create chances, but unfortunately couldn't find a finish at the end of it. Take nothing away from MMA, they did well at what they are good at and at the end of the day, I'm sure they won't care too much that they were not the better side. They executed on their plays and we didn't and it has cost us again. I really feel for the boys, they worked hard and put in a big effort, but still did not get our just rewards. We have to dust ourselves off again and work hard in training to try and improve our areas of weakness. It's still early in the season and there is plenty of football left to play."


  • Cai Pritchard and Jordi Cabau Limens led the offensive charge for the Eagles, each recording three shots on the afternoon. 
  • Pritchard finished the match with three shots on target.


  • Caron took three shots and added two helpers.
  • Backus tallied one goal off three shots.
  • Holmes added a goal on his only shot on goal.


Powell made five saves in the setback, while Trevor Gray stoped all five shots he faced to record the shutout victory. 


Maine Maritime outshot Husson, 14-9.


The Eagles are back in action Saturday, September 21 when they host UMaine-Farmington at 1:00 p.m.