#19 Saint Joseph's Slips Past Husson in Final Minutes, 3-2

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

STANDISH, Maine - The Husson University Eagles (0-2) were outscored by the #19 Saint Joseph's College of Maine Monks (2-0-1) late in the game on Tuesday night, 3-2, as they dropped their lead with ten minutes left to play in non-conference action at SJC Athletics Complex. This marks the first time since the beginning of the 2016 season that any team has scored two goals against the nationally ranked Monks in the regular season.


St. Joe's opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Cody Elliott found Mitchell Duncan on a corner kick for an early advantage. The Eagles evened the score nearly at the close of the first half with 43:41 on the clock as Jahmal Williams received a long ball from goaltender Kyle Townsend. Townsend's kick soared just over the head of the Monk's centerback as he jumped up attempting a clearance header. Williams kept up the pace chasing down the ball as it dropped out of the air, taking on the final defender before smashing the ball home inside the front post.

Williams kept the momentum flooding into the second half as he recorded his second goal of the night, barely one minute into the half. Rookie Cai Pritchard earned his first collegiate assist placing a precise ball behind the Monks back line, as Williams beat out the final defender and cut abruptly inside to face the goalie head on and lifted a perfect ball above him into the far corner to help secure a 2-1 lead.

After a back-and-forth agressive battle to finish on top, the Monks tied the game with less than 11 minutes left to play. Michael Wildes sealed the victory scoring nearly a minute after Noah Robinson deflected a header into the back corner as the Monks held onto the advantage in the final minutes of regulation. 

Head coach Gavin Penny highlights, "It's tough to find the words to say after such a hard-fought battle. We're talking about one of the best teams in the nation and we took them all the way. The result is very disappointing because it doesn't reflect the performance from the lads. I have received an amazing amount of feedback on our performance and we have to take the positives, learn from our mistakes, and move on. We scored some great goals and although they scored three, they didn't play through us which is encouraging to see. We have a very young squad that is competing at the highest level against a fantastic team full of seniors. I enjoyed every minute of that game. We have to regroup and take the positives into Saturday's game."


Husson keeper Townsend finished the night with eight saves on 11 total shots between the pipes, while his counterpart David Walbridge recorded five saves while facing seven shots on goal.


  • Williams recorded a team high of four shots while placing three on frame.

  • Pritchard and Townsend both tallied an assist on the night.


  • Duncan recorded a game-high six shots.

  • Elliott finished the match with two assists.


The Monks held the advantage in shots (21-9), shots on goal (11-7), and in corner kicks (10-3). 


Husson returns to the pitch for a matchup with the University of Southern Maine on Saturday, September 7th at Boucher Field. The home opener is set for 2:00 p.m.