Mariners Down Men's Soccer, 2-0

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

BANGOR, Maine - Husson men's soccer (3-6-1, 2-1-0 NAC) battled Maine Maritime Academy (3-4-1, 2-1-0 NAC) to the final buzzer, before falling short, 2-0, in North Atlantic Conference action on a drizzly Tuesday evening. 


The Mariners jumped on the scoreboard first, after Dalton Moore beat out a Husson defender to keep the ball in play. Moore took a couple strides forward before pushing the ball past the remaining Husson defenders to Matthew Caron running onto it. With one swift motion, Caron kicked the ball out of reach for Kyle Townsend in net, towards the back corner to take a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute.

Tension began rising in the second half as the urgency to score picked up. Gerard Arias Huerta put on quite the defensive performance after sprinting back to his home net to stop a ball which snuck past Townsend and was just inches away from crossing the goa line before he could knock it away to secure the one-point match until the 82nd minute when Colby Clarke found himself one-vs.-one with the keeper. Getting his toe underneath the ball, Clarke chipped a high-arching ball well over the keeper's head for a late second goal for Maine Maritime. Caron earned the assist. 

In the final seconds, the Eagles made one final push to catchup, but Maine Maritime stood strong. In the last second, Bryce Hayman rocked a hard shot just skimming off the top of the crossbar as it headed out of bounds to close out the rainy night. 

Head Coach Gavin Penny stated, "Tonight was a very disappointing result. MMA was clearly at the races and we failed to match their intensity. Sometimes you have to tip your hat and admire the efforts of an opposition. We cannot allow our heads to drop, we don't have time to do that. Our next game is a few days away and we need to be ready for another battle to protect our winning conference record."


Starting in net for the Eagles, Benjamin Powell recorded two saves in 17 minutes before being subbed out by Townsend who concluded the match with three saves. On the other end of the pitch, Joshua Reeks played all 90 minutes while accumulating a total of three saves. 


The Mariners outshot the Eagles, 17-11, on frame.


The Eagles hit the road venturing to Northern Vermont-Johnson on Saturday, September 29th with the match kicking off at 3:30 p.m.