First Half Push Helps Men's Soccer Capture 4-1 Win over SUNY Canton

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

CANTON, N.Y. - Four Eagles scored to help Husson men's soccer (2-4-1, 1-0-0 NAC) take down SUNY Canton (1-3-2, 0-1-0 NAC) by the final score of 4-1, in both team's North Atlantic Conference season openers on Saturday afternoon.


Kyle Townsend recorded his first career point in the opening minute of play, sending a free kick from just outside his goal box, sailing down the field over nearly every player's head before bouncing down just in front of Nathan Firlings. Firlings was able to get a touch on it, faked out the final Kangaroo defender and chipped the ball right over the keeper's head to give Husson the early 1-0 advantage.

SUNY Canton responded barely five minutes later when Kevin Velasquez took a free kick at the top corner of the box, finding the head of Edward Malinoski, Jr. who leveled the score, 1-1.

The Eagles reclaimed the lead, 2-1, retaliating with a header goal of their own. Rod Ghanayem crossed in a lefty corner as Dylan Bryce rushed towards it, flicking the ball backwards towards an unsuspecting keeper after 21 minutes of play.

Once again off the boot of Townsend, Husson extended their lead in the 39th minute, after Ian Lee took control of a misplayed ball by Kangaroo defender. Lee took one step and rocked a shot towards net barely slipping through goaltender Mouhammed Thiam's fingers despite a second attempt to dive back and push it back over the goal line, the Eagles advanced into the second half with a 3-1 lead.

Husson closed out the scoring off a cross by Bryce Hayman inside the box. Joao Passoni brought down the ball and knocked it towards the far corner for his second goal of the season  while securing the 4-1 victory.

Following the win, Head Coach Gavin Penny comments, "We made hard work of it today. The heat was energy sapping, but the guys battled through. We have scored some good goals and got the job done. It's another step forward and a good start in the conference...but we can be better and need to improve."


Husson defense stood strong, allowing only two balls to slip through while Townsend was in net as he recorded one save in 68:40. Benjamin Powell took over for the remaining 21:20 in net stopping two shots. Thiam picked up three saves for the Kangaroos while the team recorded two team saves.


Husson outshot SUNY Canton, 15-11, in overall shots and 9-4 with shots on goal. The Eagles took nine corner kicks, crediting one goal off a corner.


Men's soccer will return to Boucher Field on Wednesday, September 19th after five games on the road, to host Newbury College for a 5:00 p.m. kickoff.