Men's Soccer Grabs Overtime Winner at Newbury College, 2-1

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

BROOKLINE, Massachusetts – The Husson University men's soccer team won 2-1 on an overtime winner against Newbury College in Brookline, Mass. on Tuesday.

With the win, the Eagles improve to 7-5 (4-2 NAC), while the Nighthawks drop to 3-10 (1-2 in conference).

Both teams started slowly in the first half. Husson had a lot of the ball, but failed to create threatening chances in the opening minutes. In the 18th minute, however, Nathan Firlings had a good chance to the left of the goal. He shot the ball to the left side of Chris Tran, but the Newbury goalkeeper made a good save.

In the 30th minute, Newbury won the ball and created a dangerous counter attack. Carlos Diego ended up one on one with Nikoloz Bulashvilli, but the latter saved the attempt. That was the last memorable moment of the first half.

In the second half, the Eagles started to create more goalscoring opportunities. Saker Ghanayem had a number of good shots. However, Tran was able to save them all. Husson continued to put the pressure on as the half went on. Miguel Caballero found himself alone with Tran in the 61st minute, but the Newbury goalkeeper made another save.

Caballero got another one on one in the 84th minute. This time, he was fouled inside the penalty box. The referee awarded Husson the penalty. Rod Ghanayem shot the penalty into the bottom left corner of the goal and made it 1-0 to Husson. That looked like it was going to be the only goal of the game. However, Newbury won a free kick in the final minute. After some chaos in the box, Nicholas Olivares-Thompson got a touch on the ball and made it 1-1. That sent the game into overtime.

In overtime, Husson came out on top. Josh Bellomo found Nick Whitehead in the 95th minute. Whitehead lobbed the ball over the goalkeeper and won the game for the Eagles. It was his third goal of the season.

The Eagles outshot the Nighthawks 18-12 in the win. Bulashvilli made two saves for Husson, while Tran made 13 saves for the Nighthawks.

"I thought the lads played relatively well given the condition of the surface they had to play on," said head coach Gavin Penny. "We knew we had to be good moving the ball because the playing surface made it difficult for us to move with the ball. We have made it difficult on ourselves again though by not taking our chances. It's simple, we have to be better in front of goal, no excuses! I'm glad we managed to get the job done".

Husson return to action on Saturday. The Eagles host New England College at Boucher Field on senior night at 5:30 PM.