BANGOR, MAINE – Husson University (4-6, 3-2 NAC) soared past Thomas College (1-9, 1-5 NAC), 29-3, in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) men's lacrosse contest on Saturday afternoon at Boucher Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Eagles scored four times in the opening quarter before tallying seven goals in the second frame to head into the intermission with an 11-0 advantage. Husson received four tallies from sophomore Jaden Wells, three from junior Matt Verrill and one each from freshman Braden Olsen, and seniors Zach Glazier, Blane Miller and Chad Merrill.
The HU scoring barrage continued after the break, as senior Adam Littlefield and Wells hit pay-dirt four times each over the closing 30 minutes to propel the 2019 senior class to a 29-3 triumph on senior day.
HU senior Matt Martin made seven saves over 31:20 minutes to become the second keeper in program history to register 500 career saves and was awarded the victory, while fellow senior Nick Zavorotny played the final 28:40 for the Eagles.
Thomas freshman Damon Westhaver made ten saves in the first half of the game and William Oliver added eight stops in the final 30 minutes of the game.
Husson held the lead in shots (71-16, shots on goal (47-10), face-off wins (22-13), turnovers (26-42), and ground balls (74-28). The Eagles set two new program single-game records with 52 points and 23 assists in the victory, while tying the single-game record for most goals scored.
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Wells tallied eight goals and two assists with eight ground balls and a pair of caused turnovers.
- Littlefield scored five goals with two assists, nine ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Glazier recorded four goals, dished out four assists, scooped up eight ground balls and caused one turnover.
- Verrill added four goals and one assist with a ground ball and a caused turnover.
- Sophomore Gunner McAllister dished out five helpers and netted one goal on ten shots.
- Miller and Merrill each had one goal and two assists, while Merrill added a game-high 16 ground balls.
- Senior Blake Campbell and freshman Braden Olsen recorded two goals apiece.
- Senior Brad Brink caused three turnovers and scooped up six ground balls.
LEADERS – THOMAS:
- Freshman Daniel MacWhinnie potted one goal with an assist and a ground ball.
- Freshman Dominic Blaisdell and junior Johnathan Wilcox each tallied a goal, while sophomore Samuel Haver added an assist.
With the win, Husson improves to 13-2 in the history of the series with Thomas College.
Husson closes out the 2019 season on Tuesday at Maine Maritime Academy. Opening face-off is set for 6:00 p.m.