CANTON, N.Y. - The Husson University men's lacrosse team was defeated by SUNY Canton, 16-13, in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) game Saturday afternoon at SUNY Canton Turf.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Husson jumped out to an early 3-0 lead thanks to goals by Jaden Wells, Blane Miller and Wells once again but the Roos rattled off five unanswered tallies to lead 5-3 early in the second quarter. Two unassisted goals by Matt Verrill and Gunner McAllister even the game at five before Josh Yelvington tallied his second and third goals of game to push the Roos lead back up by two with 3:32 remaining in the first half. The teams went into intermission tied at seven apiece after Adam Littlefield netted his 21st goal of the season at the 3:02 mark and McAllister scored a man-up goal with 1:56 left in the half.
One minute and three seconds into the third quarter Dante Coco put the Roos up by one thanks to a nice pass by Yelvington. Husson struck quickly to take a 9-8 lead with 12:27 left in the quarter when Littlefield and Charest fired shots passed the Roos keeper but 26 seconds later Yelvington scored the equalizer. The game remained tied until the 9:44 mark when McAllister tallied his second man-up goal of the game right before Brayden Charest pushed the Eagle lead to 11-9.
The Eagles led 12-10 with 4:21 remaining in the third quarter after before teams traded goals in a three minute time span but Canton once again scored five unanswered goals to take a 15-12 lead that it wouldn't relinquish.
Kody Kocsis made 11 saves in the win for the Roos, while Bryan Wagg turned aside 11 shots over the final 30 minutes in the loss. Matt Martin recorded nine saves in first 30 minutes of game for the Eagles.
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Wells finished with three goals, one assist and two caused turnovers.
- McAllister closed out the game with three goals on seven shots and added an assist with six ground balls and one caused turnover.
- Litttlefield tallied three goals and an assist.
- Zach Glazier added a pair of assists with four ground balls.
- Miller tacked on a goal with a pair of assists and a caused turnover.
- Charest netted a pair of goals.
- Chad Merrill picked up a team-high eight ground balls.
LEADERS – SUNY CANTON:
- Yelvington scored a game-high seven goals on 20 shots with two assists and five ground balls.
- Noah Robinson chipped in with three tallies on 17 shots, while scooping up three ground balls and causing one turnover.
- Andrew Garrett added a pair of goals.
- Coco tallied two goals, two ground balls and one caused turnover.
- Nick Walberger picked up a game-high 13 ground balls and won 22 of 30 face-off attempts.
Husson will host conference rival Thomas College on Saturday, April 20th at 3:30 p.m.