STANDISH, Maine - Opening up their 2019 season at Saint Joseph's College of Maine (1-1), the Husson men's lacrosse squad (0-1) scored three goals in the final 16 minutes of the game before falling to the Monks, 17-3, on Thursday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Michael Finn scored five of the Monks' first eight goals as the hosts headed into intermission with a 10-0 lead. Monks' Tyler Brewster hit the back of the net 3:08 into the third quarter to extend the hosts' lead to 15-0 before Husson got on the board with strikes from Adam Littlefield and Zach Glazier in a matter of 14 seconds late in the penultimate frame. Jaden Wells assisted on the Eagles first goal of the season while Gunner McAllister helped put Husson on the board again dropping off a pass to Glazier for his second goal of the night.
Saint Joseph's held the lead in shots (48-28) and barely edged Husson in face offs (13-11).
The Monks split time in goal with sophomore Liam Skinner stopping all five shots he faced in the first half and freshman Michael Janocha turning away five attempts in the second stanza.
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Glazier scored twice with a pair of ground balls
- Littlefield added a goal and two ground balls
- Blane Miller picked up three ground balls
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Finn tallied five goals and two assists on 12 shots, including 10 on goal
- Puleo was credited with six assists, three ground balls, and a pair of caused turnovers
- Senior Tyler Retalic scored three goals
- Freshman Troy Battari (Nashua, N.H.) added three goals and an assist
Husson's home opener on Saturday against the University of Southern Maine has been postponed. Their next game on the schedule is on Tuesday, March 5th on the road at UMass-Boston with a 4:00 p.m. start.