CANTON, N.Y. – A consistent effort from the SUNY Canton Roos (10-8, 6-1 NAC) helps defeat the Husson University men's basketball team (6-10, 4-2 NAC) by the final score of 79-63 on Friday evening in North Atlantic Conference action.
INSIDE THE ACTION:
The Roos found a rhythm early going 4-for-4 from three-point range to jump out to a 12-4 lead. The Canton lead extended to as many as 10 (25-15) after a Kahdean Bennett layup with 12:22 to play in the opening half.
The Eagles battled back with a 14-4 run to tie the game at 29 with 5:01 left in the first half. SUNY Canton led 37-34 at intermission. DuBois and Juztin Chambers-Phillips led a balanced attack with nine and eight points, respectively. Justice Kendall totaled 10 points for Husson.
After the Eagles captured their first advantage of the evening on a Justin Thompson layup with 15:33 on the clock to grab a one-point edge, 41-40, Canton extended their lead to 51-41 over the next two minutes of the second half. Husson cut the lead to three on multiple occasions including as late as 5:34 remaining in the contest (61-58) after a J Thomas jumper.
The Eagles were within five late in the game, but Canton used a 7-0 run on a Nehma layup, DuBois three-pointer and pair of Danny Santana free throws to seal the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Thomas led the Husson attack with a career-high 18 points in 22 minutes off the bench while also grabbing six boards.
- DuBois led all players with 22 points on 8-for-12 shooting including going 3-for-4 from behind the arc and the charity stripe. Nehma finished with 15 points on 7-for-11 shooting and added four rebounds for the Roos.
- Kendall finished with the first-half high of 10 points and dished five assists by the end of the night while playing every minute of the game.
- Brett Cunningham registered nine points and Derek Collin and Justin Thompson added eight each.
- The Roos shot 48.3% percent from the field and 44.4% percent from three-point range and held a 44-37 edge in rebounding. Husson shot 38.2% from the field and scored 16 points off of turnovers to the Roos' nine.
Husson will stay overnight in New York for a rematch with SUNY Canton tomorrow, January 25th. Tipoff was pushed up an hour to 2:00 p.m. to beat the incoming storm.