BANGOR, Maine – A 45-point effort from the Eagle bench helped the Husson University men's basketball team (5-7) improve their North Atlantic Conference (NAC) record to 3-0 as the University of Maine-Presque Isle Owls (4-7) dropped to 0-3 in the conference with the 83-68 loss to the Eagles on Friday evening.
IN THE ACTION:
The two teams swapped the lead five times before the ten-minute mark of the opening half as the Owls barely held a 17-16 edge. The Eagles continued to match their opponent point-for-point before pushing ahead 38-31 in the final three minutes of the half to close out on a 17-8 run. Finishing with a strong offensive spurt, the duo of Isaiah Hart and Scott Lewis added on the last ten points before the break. Lewis closed out 13 minutes of action with 12 points and five boards.
Remaining within just a couple buckets, the Owls clawed their way back to a three-point deficit following a steal by Shyquinn Dix then an and-one conversion to bring the score to 49-46 in favor of the Eagles. Husson pushed right back, scoring ten unanswered points for a 59-46 separation over the next four minutes. Their lead continued to grow after several trips to the charity stripe and an 11-point contribution from DJ Bussey on the half to help bring in the 83-68 triumph on their home court.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Lewis hit a career-high 17 points and nine rebounds to lead the Eagles on the scoreboard.
- Both teams swiped nine steals, but Husson scored 18 points off of turnovers compared to UMPI's ten points.
- The Eagles frequented the charity stripe, draining 15-of-19 shots for 78.9% while the Owls went 4-for-4.
- Dix led all-scorers with 21 points, six boards, and four steals on the night.
- Justin Thompson came off the bench to add 14 points, seven rebounds, and four assists.
The Eagles get a short rest before returning to their home court tomorrow, January 11th at 3:00 p.m. to welcome back UMPI for a second conference matchup this weekend.