BIDDEFORD, Maine - Husson University men's basketball team (2-1) levels Fitchburg State University (1-4) by the final score of, 99-84, in the consolation game of the Hampton Inn Jim Beaudry Classic on Saturday afternoon inside the Harold Alfond Forum.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Falcons started the game on a 14-2 run in the first five minutes before the Eagles started to chip away with a run of their own over the next eight minutes. A old fashion three point play by Justin Martin cut the Fitchburg State lead to four, 34-30, with 7:15 left in the half. The Falcons then went on a 12-0 run to push the score to 42-30, but a layup by Martin with 5:41 remaining sparked Husson's comeback effort as the Eagles closed out the half on a 22-4 run to take a 52-46 lead into intermission. Three different Eagles scored double-digits in the half as Martin led all-scorers with 15 points and five rebounds, while DJ Bussey had 14 points, and Cole Thomas added ten points. Kameron Jimenez-Fox led the Falcons with 12 points and six rebounds.
The Eagles continued their run that they used to close out the first half on by scoring the first eight points of the second half. The Falcons responded but could never get the game closer then three points the rest of the way as Husson picked up the 99-84 victory. Martin once again led the Eagles in scoring in the half by contributing ten points with five rebounds, while Justice Kendall dished out nine assists in the half. Jimenez-Fox led the Falcons with 12 points.
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Martin recorded his 16th career double-double with a game-high 25 points and ten boards, while adding an assist, a steal and two blocks to bring his career total to 164, leaving him one shy of tying the program's all-time career mark of 165.
- Bussey scored double-digit points for the third straight game in row by finishing with 22 points. He also added a steal, two assists and grabbed two boards.
- Thomas finished with 14 points, three rebounds, four assists and a block off the bench.
- Justin Thompson scored 13 points, while dishing out three assists with a steal and four boards on the pine.
- Kendall dished out 11 assists, grabbed five board, stole the ball once and contributed five points.
LEADERS – FITCHBURG STATE:
- Jimenez-Fox recorded a double-double with a team-high 24 points and ten rebounds, while adding two assists and three steals.
- Jonathan Perez had 18 points and grabbed seven rebounds off the bench.
- Jordan Jones tailled 12 points, three rebounds, a steal and a block.
- Nicholas Tracy scored 11 points, dished out three helpers, stole the ball three times and blocked one Eagle shot.
The Eagles shot 54.5% (36-66) from the field and held the Falcons to 44.4% (28-63).
Husson is now 2-1 in the history of the series with Fitchburg State University.
The Eagles will travel to Lasell Athletic Center in Newton, Mass. to take on the Lasers of Lasell College for the first time since the 2006-07 season in non-conference action on Monday, November 26th at 5:30 p.m.