BANGOR, Maine - The #1 seeded Husson University Eagles (24-14) defeated the #4 seeded University of Maine at Farmington Beavers (12-22) by the final score of 10-1 in Game One of the 2019 North Atlantic Conference (NAC) Baseball Tournament on The Harold Alfond Diamond at the Dr. John W. Winkin Sports Complex on Friday Morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The game remained a scoreless tie until a fielding error in the bottom of third, allowing Conor Maguire to score the game's first run. The Beaver miscue prolonged the Eagles' half of the inning which allowed Alex Chapman to come to the plate with two runners in scoring position. Chapman then proceeded to hit a double to left, scoring Luke Covey and Ethan Stoddard. Chapman stole third, and came in to score on a passed ball to make it 4-0, Husson.
The Beavers cut into the Eagles' lead in the fifth, plating one run off two hits. Ryan Pratt started things off by working a walk, advanced to third on a Ryan Simard double, and later scored on a Zach Hartsgrove single up the middle.
Husson pushed their advantage to 7-1 in the bottom of the sixth when Kobe Rogerson singled home a pair and scored on a David LeBlanc single to left. The Eagles scored runs in the seventh and eighth off RBI singles by Michael Schneider and Stoddard to cap off the scoring.
ON THE MOUND:
Husson starter Brandon Brunell (4-0) went 5.1 innings to earn the win, allowing six hits, one earned run, with two strikeouts and a pair of walks. Ben Bernier, Jacob Gauvin, and Nolan Dousa combined to throw 3.1 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just one hit and punching out four.
Gavin Arsenault (2-5) took the loss after tossing 4.0 innings, yielding four unearned runs, five hits and two walks while striking out six batters. Patrick Fallon tossed 1.1 innings in relief of Arsenault, allowing three earned runs off three hits with two walks. Kevin Carter allowed two hits, one run and one walk in 1.2 innings of work. Cole Lockhart threw a single inning, surrendering two earned runs off three hits with a punch out.
OFF THE BAT - HUSSON:
- Maguire was 3-4 with a double, two runs scored, a walk and a stolen base.
- Chapman went 1-4 with a double, two runs scored, two RBI, and two stolen bases.
- Rogerson finished the game with a 3-4 day, while adding a run scored and two RBI.
- LeBlanc was 2-5 with a run scored and an RBI.
- Stoddard went 1-3 with two RBI, a run scored and a pair of intentional walks.
- Schneider produced a 2-5 day with an RBI and a run scored.
OFF THE BAT - UMAINE-FARMINGTON:
- Justin Rodrigue was 2-4 at the plate.
- Jake Bessey, Carter and Derek Bowen all went 1-4 on day, while Bessey added a double.
- Simard and Hartsgrove each had a 1-3 day with Hartsgrove adding an RBI.
Husson will play Northern Vermont University-Lyndon in game four tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. at the Harold Alfond Diamond. Following a coin flip, the Hornets will be the home team. UMaine-Farmington will face Thomas in game three at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 4th in the NAC Baseball Tournament.