NEW LONDON, Conn. - The Husson University Eagles (7-8) dropped both games in their doubleheader against the Mitchell College Mariners (9-5) on Sunday afternoon in non-conference action.
GAME 1: Mitchell 30, Husson 0
Mitchell struck first in Sunday's doubleheader against the Eagles as Steve Cochrane and Dougie DelaCruz both launched homers out of the park in just the first inning for the Mariners to take an early 4-0 lead. The Mariners continued to tack on runs while holding Husson scoreless until the seventh inning when the Eagles finally escaped three outs without giving up a single run while leaving one Mitchell baserunner stranded.
A Michael Schneider single put the ball rolling to get two Eagle baserunners in scoring position which was the closest Husson got to scoring multiple runs in all nine innings, but a fly out to center left both runners hanging as Mitchell eased into the shutout victory.
ON THE MOUND:
Jesse Colford opened up game one of the doubleheader for the Eagles throwing the first inning. Five additional Eagles saw time on the mound. Kyle Bourget was the only pitcher from the bullpen to give up zero runs in a full inning pitched.
Jakari Pellegrini pitched four full innings for the Mariners, only allowing one hit and one walk while picking up four K's. He shared time throwing with four other pitchers for the Mariners as Drew Daley earned the win.
- Michael Schneider, Kobe Rogerson, and Austin Baron recorded Husson's three hits of the game.
- Nick Guerrette used his speed to achieve the only stolen base of the game.
- Steve Cochrane went 3-4 with two home runs, nine RBI, and four runs of his own.
- Eric Marriott went 3-3 with a double. He scored five runs with two RBI.
- Hunter Yaworski was 1-2 with a three-run homer and four RBI.
GAME 2: Mitchell 9, Husson 1
Mitchell's pitching remained solid in the nightcap as starter Roland Thiviergeworked his way out of a couple of tight spots once Husson's bats started swinging. The Mariners pushed across three runs in the first inning to once again grab the early lead.
Husson put a runner in scoring position with no outs in the third, but the Mariners escaped unscathed to cling to their shutout. An inning later, the Eagles threatened again as Nick Guerrette led led off with a double to left. David LeBlanc then struck out on a ball in the dirt, but reached base safely, setting up Husson with runners on the corners with no outs. With one out, Ethan Stoddard lined a shot to left that looked deep enough to score the runner from third, however, DelaCruz made the catch and fired home just in time to cut Guerrette down at the plate. Continuing on this momentum, Husson held Mitchell scoreless in the bottom of the third while catching a Mariner stealing.
The Mariners doubled the lead with four runs in the fourth, before Husson cracked the scoreboard in the fifth as Conor Maguire cashed in with a sacrifice fly to right field to bring home Dustin Crawford to make it an 8-1 game. The Eagles were unable to get on the board in the final inning to fulfill the comeback as Mitchell took the sweep.
ON THE MOUND:
Roland Thivierge earned the win in game two, pitching five complete innings, giving up three hits and one run.
- Nick Guerrette, Alex Chapman, and Kobe Rogerson accrued a hit apiece for the Eagles.
- Guerrette recorded a double and a walk as he went 1-2.
- David LeBlanc consistently got on base in all three at bats, but was left stranded each time.
- Eric Marriott went 3-4 with a double, one RBI, and two runs.
- Steven Pagan hit a double with two RBI.
- Steve Cochrane went 2-4 with two runs and one RBI.
Husson baseball is set to play their home opener at the Dr. John W. Winkin Sports Complex on Thursday, March 28th at 4:00 p.m. against Saint Joseph's College of Maine.