Men's Soccer Defeats Maine-Farmington, 2-0

Men's Soccer Defeats Maine-Farmington, 2-0

BANGOR, Maine – The Husson University men's soccer team knocked off UMaine-Farmington by 2-0 score on Tuesday Night, September 19th, at Boucher Field.

The Eagles improve to 2-3 (1-1 NAC) with the win, while the Beavers drop to 3-3 (1-1 NAC).

Husson had much of the ball from the start. They did so without being able to break the Beavers down. This was the case until the 35th minute. Nick Whitehead won a header and flicked the ball into the path of Rod Ghanayem. The latter was calm in front of the goal, as he went around the keeper and put the ball into the back of the net. That was the only goal of a first half, that was tight and well contested.

In the second half, the Eagles continued to have a lot of the ball. However, the Beavers managed to get a free kick close to goal. The away team, UMaine-Farmington, almost converted the chance as Biwe Aden hit the crossbar. Two minutes later, UMaine-Farmington had to regret that miss. Spencer Miranda put a long throw into the penalty box for Husson. The ball bounced right to Paxton Oversmith, who shot the ball towards goal. A deflection from a defender on the away team helped him, and the ball ended up in the net. That goal meant that Husson was up 2-0 in the 54th minute of the game. Both teams had some smaller chances in the remaining minutes of the second half, but Oversmith's goal was the last one of the match.  

The Eagles outshot the Beavers 10-8 in the game. Cody Gross made four saves for Husson, and Matt Wilson made four saves for the UMaine-Farmington.

"I'm happy we got the win but disappointed with our performance," said head coach Gavin Penny. "We are controlling games but not finishing teams off and credit to Farmington they just keep going. We have to be better about taking our chances when we get them, there may only be one chance in a game so we have to take it when it presents itself. I don't think we were at our best today but will need to be by Saturday, which is a big game for us. I would like to put on record that I'm not proud of my reaction at the end of the game. I was very frustrated with the lack of protection for my players. I have made peace with the referee's and apologized to my players."

Husson return to action on Saturday, September 23rd. The eagles travel to Colby-Sawyer for a conference game at 1:00 PM.